Functional lab testing can provide a deeper understanding as to why dysfunction in the body is occurring. It is extremely effective in coming up with targeted strategies to restore balance and improve symptoms.
The results can provide valuable insights into the underlying causes of a variety of chronic health concerns such as digestive and hormonal imbalances, metabolic dysfunction, thyroid conditions, mood disorders and more.
Furthermore, functional testing can assess a wide range of factors such as digestive enzyme function, gut microbiome composition, inflammation levels, food sensitivities, nutrient deficiencies, hormonal imbalances and more.
Additionally, the lab results can also create a foundation of knowledge on which you can build as you work towards sustainable health and meaningful health restoration healing that lasts.
Different Types of Functional Labs:
Functional testing may include blood, stool, urine, saliva or hair samples (most of which can be completed in the privacy of your home) to provide information about a variety of systems including metabolic, nutritional, endocrine, gastrointestinal, hormonal, immune, genetic, detoxification, and others.
1. Comprehensive Stool Analysis (GI-MAP):
A comprehensive stool analysis such as the GI-MAP can reveal the presence of harmful bacteria, yeast overgrowth, or parasites in the gut, which can lead to digestive symptoms such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
Targeted interventions can be guided by this information such as herbal antimicrobial therapy or probiotic supplementation.
PERFECT FOR: The individual struggling with digestive distress.
- This test uses true DNA/PCR analysis to check for your bacteria profile (both good and bad bacteria), parasites, yeast, gut immune function, digestion of protein and fats, tolerance to gluten, and estrogen metabolism
- This data is extremely helpful for those struggling with chronic digestive issues
- Learn more about GI MAP testing here.
2. Food Sensitivity Testing (MRT170):
Food sensitivity testing can identify 170 different foods and food-chemicals that trigger an immune response, leading to inflammation and digestive symptoms.
By avoiding these trigger foods, you can begin to experience significant improvements in their digestive health.
PERFECT FOR: The individual who suspects food sensitivities.
- If you experience symptoms such as gas, bloating, inflammation, skin rashes, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation
- This test is extremely effective at measuring the inflammatory response to food & food-chemicals
- You can learn more about the test here.
3. Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA):
HTMA (Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis) testing can provide insights into your body’s mineral deficiencies, excesses, and imbalances. HTMA can also identify mineral deficiencies and toxic element exposures like lead and mercury early on.
In addition, HTMA can help prevent the development of chronic diseases like osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, or diabetes.
PERFECT FOR: The individual wanting more in-depth insight to your cellular mineral status as well as heavy metal exposure.
- Blood tests cannot evaluate for longer term mineral status
- Hair mineral testing provides nutrient status information for the last 3 months, giving a more accurate picture for current status
- You can learn more about HTMA testing here.
4. Sex & Adrenal Hormone Testing (DUTCH):
Hormone testing can help identify the underlying causes of hormonal imbalances, such as adrenal dysfunction, thyroid dysfunction, or sex hormone imbalances.
PERFECT FOR: The individual struggling with suspected hormone imbalance and adrenal dysfunction.
- This is a dried urine test for comprehensive hormone testing
- Highlights sex and adrenal hormones and their metabolites, markers for B12, B6, and glutathione status, as well as neurotransmitters
- You can learn more here.
5. Mold Exposure Testing (MycoTOX):
Mycotoxins (toxins from mold) are some of the most prevalent toxins in the environment. Mycotoxins are metabolites produced by fungi like mold, which can infest buildings, vehicles, and foodstuffs.
PERFECT FOR: The individual with unexplained symptoms. who has addressed their diet and lifestyle.
- For those who have done foundational healing on their gut
- Struggling with unexplained symptoms like fatigue, difficulty concentrating/brain fog, chronic inflammation or allergy-like symptoms
- You can learn more about the test here.
In conclusion, using functional lab testing can help develop targeted interventions that address the root causes of the imbalances, rather than simply managing symptoms.
Contact me to see how I can help you address your chronic health concerns with functional lab testing today!