An unhealthy gut causes hormonal disruptions and chronic inflammation which can lead to a number of serious diseases.
The biggest cause of an unhealthy gut is eating a diet high in sugars, processed foods, the wrong kinds of fat, overuse of antibiotics and alcohol.
Over time, not only does the gut NOT absorb nutrients as it should, but it can also leak toxins and harmful bacteria into the body AKA “leaky gut.”
There is a link between the health of your gut and hormones: when gut health isn’t optimal, hormones become imbalanced.
Here are some simple tips for how to start improving your hormone health today!
* Eat a nutrient-rich, anti-inflammatory diet: Foods like tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), green leafy vegetables, nuts, fatty fish and fruits like strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and oranges!
* Consume probiotics regularly: These are found in foods like yogurt, sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi, and kombucha. You can also take a high-quality probiotic supplement.
* Prebiotics: Fibrous vegetables and fruits like bananas, garlic, onions, jerusalem artichoke, chicory root, oats and apples are the best sources for prebiotics.
* ELIMINATE SUGARS, simple carbs, and trans fats: This is one of the most important things you can do to restore gut health.
* Take antibiotics only when absolutely needed: Antibiotics can throw your gut flora out of balance since they don’t discriminate when killing bacteria. Always take a probiotic along with your antibiotic to help restore health.
* Consume polyphenols regularly: These are plant compounds found in red wine, green tea, dark chocolate, and olive oil which stimulate the digestive system.
* Drink more water! Water benefits the lining of the gut and helps keep balance.
In addition to lowering inflammation, a more natural, less processed diet can have noticeable effects on your physical and emotional health.
Contact me to see how you can start to improve your hormone health today!