Whether you’re struggling with symptoms such as bloating, gas, abdominal pain, heartburn, fatigue, skin problems – the list goes on! Your gut health is likely at the root of it.
It is extremely important to address digestive health when beginning your health journey. Even if you’re dealing with symptoms like hormone imbalances, blood sugar dysregulation or mood imbalances, you want to get a clear snapshot of what is happening in your gut, FIRST.
It can be incredibly challenging knowing what to do, what to eat, what not to eat, what supplements to take, what tests to trust, what order to do everything in – the amount of information out there for DIY health us beyond overwhelming! I am here to help simplify that.
Here’s what you need to know in order to improve your digestive health.
It’s always important to work with a practitioner who can take the time to do a full review of your health – not just a 10 minute check in with a basic intake form. Likely, what’s going on in your gut and with your health did not happen overnight and has been an ongoing issue for years – whether you’ve been experiencing symptoms for that long or not.
No matter what protocol you end up doing – whether it’s doing a food sensitivity test or a gut health test – you also need to be making some dietary and lifestyle changes along with taking targeted, professional-grade supplements to help eradicate pathogens, boost good bacteria, provide functional support, and to assist in healing your gut.
Using targeted supplementation for gut healing
Lots of people are skeptical of supplements. They have gained a very bad reputation over the years as companies have realized how easy it is to lure the *large* number of people out there struggling with health issues into buying their products. They’ll even advertise on social media with very targeted advertising just so that you feel like you need it.
However, whether you’re working with a practitioner or not it is absolutely necessary to take some targeted supplements short term to address your specific health issue.
In this blog, I’m going to help simplify the best gut healing supplements for soothing your intestinal lining and helping to seal the tight junctions to prevent bacteria from getting into your blood stream – aka, “leaky gut.”
Here are my favorite gut healing supplements:
1. L-Glutamine – an amino acid that is fundamental to the well-being of the digestive and immune systems. Glutamine is great for repairing damage to the gut, helping the gut lining to regrow and repair, undoing the damage caused by leaky gut, and reducing sugar cravings.
2. Slippery Elm, DGL, Marshmallow Root, Aloe Vera – this blend of healing herbs contains mucilage and stimulates nerve endings in the body’s intestinal tract to increase natural mucus secretion, which is a major part of the stomach’s protective lining and helps combat ulcers and excessive acidity in the digestive system. It also contains important antioxidants that help relieve inflammatory bowel symptoms, eases the inflammation in the stomach lining and treats both diarrhea and constipation by creating a protective lining on the digestive tract.
3. Colostrum – colostrum can help to fight disease and inflammation in the gut, and can help to combat cases of leaky gut syndrome that have already developed. It can also encourage the development of the lining of the gut.
4. Zinc – a lack of zinc is directly linked to damage of the gut membrane barrier. Studies have shown that zinc tightens a leaky gut and helps to reduce inflammation.
5. Vitamin D – evidence is suggesting that vitamin D can help reduce inflammation in and heal your gut. This can lead to a healthier microbiota (the world of bacteria in your gut). These changes lead to improvement of digestive symptoms as seen in IBS such as bloating, abdominal pain and altered bowel function.
6. Probiotics – friendly bacteria can be depleted and disrupted by taking antibiotics, steroids, acid-blocking medications, eating a poor diet, and many other factors. Taking a highly concentrated dose of probiotics on a daily basis as a leaky gut supplement can help you regain a healthy balance of bacteria in your gut.
Contact me to see how I can help you heal your gut and digestive symptoms today!